October 12, 2019
October 12, 2019
October 6, 2019
October 1, 2019
This week is National Arts in Education Week! To celebrate, Mabry Elementary is participating in the Reflections Arts Program. Reflections is a PTA sponsored arts contest held at Mabry and judged by local community members. Students of all abilities K-5 have an opportunity to submit their own work of art based on their interpretation of this year’s theme: Look Within
Student art can be in any of the following six categories:
- Visual Arts [see rules pdf below] – Original artwork of drawing, crafts, painting, sculpture, carpentry, dioramas, etc.
- Literature [see rules pdf below] – Original authoring of Poetry, Prose, Drama, Reflective Essay, Narrative, Short Story, etc.
- Music Composition [see rules pdf below] – Original composition of A Capella, Blues, Choral, Country, Electronic, Hip Hop, Jazz, Latin, Rock, etc.
- Photography [see rules pdf below] – Original photos of panoramic, photomontage, single photos, multiple exposure, negative sandwich, black and white, color, etc.
- Dance Choreography [see rules pdf below] – Original choreography of Ballet, Hip Hop, Jazz, Tap, Gymnastics-floor routine, Ice Skating, etc.
- Special Artist – [see rules pdf below] – See guidelines for allowable accommodations.
Students may submit art to more than one category. Art submissions must follow the specific rules and guidelines for each category. Click the links above to see the official rules for each category. Please note that Mabry will not be participating in the Film Production category this year.
- All art entries will be judged on three criteria:
- Interpretation of Theme (theme = Look Within)
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the theme may be submitted
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only
- Entry must contain a completed student entry form with artwork title and artist statement
- Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for recorded music in dance choreography when title, composer, and performer are cited in the submission
- PowerPoint presentations are prohibited
Deadline > All art submissions must be submitted, following the guidelines for their respective category, no later than Friday, November 1st. This gives students eight weeks to work on their art of choice. Art submitted after this date cannot be accepted. Visual Arts will need to be submitted in person (location TBD). All other art categories will be submitting their art digitally to MabryReflections@gmail.com.
How to Enter > Students will need to submit a completed Entry Form to either Ms. Jenny Lovell in the front office, or to MabryReflections@gmail.com. See attachments at the bottom for a student packet which includes an overview of the program guidelines and an entry form.
Judging >Volunteer judges are needed to judge the student works of art. Judging will take place between 11/4 – 11/8. Some art will need to be judged in person (ex: visual arts), and some art can be judged online (ex: dance videos, music compositions, literature pieces). Anyone can be a judge! Art gallery owners, music school teachers, dance studio owners, High School students in art programs, parents, Mabry staff, etc. Judges will be given instructions and a scorecard to use. Contact MabryReflections@gmail.com if you are interested in being a judge, or if you have a suggestion for a judge.
Celebration Event > All student participants and judges will be invited to attend a celebratory event sometime after judging has ended. The event will take place on the Mabry campus. Date, time, and location are to be determined but will be communicated. Parents are invited to attend.
Advancing Artwork > Students with art that scored the highest within their division (K-2, 3-5, or Special Artist) and within their category will be eligible to advance their art to the district level. This will take place on Monday November 18th at Maniscalco Elementary in Lutz, or Tuesday, November 19th at Roland Park Magnet School (near Westshore area). Students will need to submit their art work by either of these two days in order to be eligible.